The European Cancer Patient Coalition is recruiting
Two Senior Health and Research Officers
Full-time (100%) position, on one year contract with possibility to renew
To start as soon as possible
Deadline: 30th January 2023
Offices: ECPC Secretariat, 6, Avenue des Arts, 1210 Brussels
Senior Health and Research Officers
The European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC) is a European umbrella organization based in Brussels gathering over 450 cancer patient associations from 49 Countries.
ECPC was set up in 2003. We believe that cancer patients are the most important partners in cancer control and we advocate for all the cancer-related issues aﬀecting our society. Every day we are working to make sure that all European cancer patients have timely and aﬀordable access to the best treatment and care available, throughout their life.
We are recruiting two Senior Health & Research Projects Officers on an one year contract, with possibility to renew, to manage the organisation’s work in EU and third parties funded projects in cancer. The Senior Research Projects Officers will be members of the Health and Research Team and will be working with the various project files of the organization, contributing to EU and industry funded projects, and establishing good working relations with key stakeholders. This is an exciting opportunity for experienced professionals with sound educational and professional background.
- Drafting research project proposals, including budget allocations for ECPC;
- Determining the resources (time, money, staff, equipment) required to complete a project
- Liaising with the European Commission, consortium leaders, project partners, and other stakeholders on progress of all initiatives and ensuring that all contract terms are met timely and efficiently
- Follow-up developments and projects announcements by the European Commission, IHI and others
- Taking care of the day-to-day projects administration, including scheduling project meetings, writing minutes, and circulating reference materials to prepare for meetings
- Advising and coordinating with the Scientific Committee and its Chair in the preparation and implementation of specific project proposals, in the presentation of the projects at events and in authoring ad hoc papers, as needed;
- Collaborating closely with the Projects Coordinator providing on a timely and organized basis key project information, deadlines, reports, financial data, etc. so that the Project Coordinator always has the necessary individual project information
- Monitoring the projects progress as well as finances in collaboration with the Project Coordinator and the HR and Finance Manager on a regular basis
- Working closely with the Projects Coordinator & HR and Finance Manager to ensure the timely preparation and submission of project progress and financial reports and supporting documentation;
- Collaborating with the Sr Eu Affairs Manager, the President and the Chair of Scientific Committee for publishing papers related to the projects in which ECPC participates or other, as the case may be.
- Compiling, reviewing, and editing project technical progress reports and annual work plans and overseeing timely submission thereof
- Liaising, as necessary, with other departments at ECPC (communication, policy and advocacy) for promoting projects, developing policies and preparing advocacy materials and tools.
Education and skills
- A MSc in Medicine, Biology, Pharmaceutical Science, Public Health, preferably with experience in oncology, clinical trials, HTA, health systems, genomics, while an additional degree or working experience in Business Administration, EU Affairs, are desirable
- Proven extensive and concrete knowledge of EU research funded projects (H2020, Horizon Europe, IMI, IHI, Digital technology) of at least five years is required, not including traineeships
- Good working knowledge of the European health and oncology ecosystem, health systems and cancer care system is necessary
- Basic understanding of the functioning of the European Commission is desirable
- Ability to plan workload and estimate timelines accurately, to meet tight deadlines, to handle multiple projects are essential
- Capability to use a shared online project management system
- Oral and written presentation skills to small and large audiences of cancer stakeholders is required
- Expert user of MS Office suite especially advanced user of Excel and Power Point
- Proactiveness, collegiality, readiness to offer a helping hand in various tasks, sociable mature personality able to relate equally well with peers and high-level officials
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others in both team and independent environments
- Willingness and availability to work long hours, whenever necessary, to undertake business travel at short notice and assist in all activities of a busy small office
- Ability to work in an international and multilingual environment with a fast-paced team of young professionals
- Outstanding written and verbal skills in English (English fluency is mandatory) and attention to detail and numeracy
- Fluency in at least another EU language
- Experience in delivering oral presentations to small and large professional audiences
- Good use of social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) in health care for the dissemination of the projects is required
- Relevant prior professional experience of at least five years in a similar position is required, excluding any traineeships
- Experience in health related or non-profit organisations, particularly in a patients’ organisation, is desirable
- At least 5 years’ proven professional experience of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint is essential
- Experience in preparing documents (press releases, editorials, etc.) for the press and online media
- Experience in writing long documents (reports, position papers, project proposals, etc.) and in creating/using visuals with desk top publishing
- Budget planning, implementation and oversight, and accounting experience is desirable
- Database management experience is desirable
What we offer
This is a full-time position (38 hours per week), with an one year contract, with possibility to renew, benefits include meal vouchers, 5 additional holidays per year, GSM abonnement, Eco vouchers, hospitalization insurance, group insurance, CCT90 bonus, Cadeau Pass (end of year) and Sport & Culture Pass, based in Brussels, offering many learning and career advancement opportunities for the right candidate. The position is suitable for young professionals aiming to build vertical expertise on many and varied aspects of cancer and health care in cancer policy and research.
We offer a captivating and varied function with an organization driven by its mission and where initiative, creativity, and energy are strongly encouraged. The successful candidate will collaborate with a young, well educated, motivated, professional, and friendly Secretariat and a very involved, expert, and collaborative Board and Scientific Committee.
Starting date: Immediate
Interested candidates should send a CV and a cover letter (maximum two pages) in English by EMAIL ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than January 30, 2023. The cover letter should have as Subject line: “Application for the position of Sr Health & Research Officer – your name”) and should outline your suitability and motivation for the post, indicating also when you could start, if short-listed for interview. It should explicitly reference how your profile matches the different job requirements described above. Please also include a photo with your application and the names and contact details of two people (ideally a current or former line manager or supervisor) who could provide a reference in case you are short-listed for interview.
We will assess the applications as we receive them and you should not wait till the deadline is passed. Should you be interested please do not wait till the last day, as we may have already filled the position.
Applications not meeting the requirements will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. CV and personal data of non-selected candidates are not shared with anyone outside ECPC.