Opportunities for Hepatitis Related Cancer Prevention in Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan
October is Liver Cancer Awareness Month (LCAM). This year, LCAM is only a few weeks prior to the vote of the European Parliament’s Special Committee on Cancer (BECA) on its report guiding the implementation of the European Commission’s Beating Cancer Plan.
You can register for this event through this link: https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_plVGXx-tTJmP8RaQ82Tc2w
This event will raise awareness on the opportunities in significantly reducing the burden of liver cancer by better tackling viral hepatitis B and C. We will discuss these with EU policymakers in view of the cancer prevention initiatives mentioned in the Cancer Plan (e.g. the European Code Against Cancer, the EU Mobile App for Cancer Prevention, the planned Council Recommendation on vaccine preventable cancers, the updated Recommendation on cancer screening, initiatives targeted at vulnerable populations, etc.)
The event is organised in collaboration with EASL (European Association for the Study of the Liver) and ACHIEVE (Associations Collaborating on Hepatitis to Immunize and Eliminate the Viruses in Europe) both members of the European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC)’s Cancer Complications and Comorbidities Initiative.
1. Sue Saville – Moderator
2. MEP Aldo Patriciello – Co-Chair of the European Parliament ‘Challenge Cancer’ Intergroup
3. Prof. Peter Jepsen – Member of the Policy and Public Health Committee of the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL)
4. Professor Dr. Maria Buti – EU Policy Councillor of the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL)
5. George Kalamitsis – Hepatitis patient representative and Co-Chair of ACHIEVE
6. Dr. Matthias Schuppe – European Commission, Team Leader of Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan Taskforce [TBC]
7. Prof. Dr. Romana Jerković – Member of the BECA Committee
8. MEP Lídia Pereira – Member of the BECA Committee [TBC]
9. MEP Radan Kanev – Member of the European Parliament ENVI Committee