The European Cancer Patient Coalition is recruiting
an EU Projects Coordinator
Full-time (100%) position to start as soon as possible
Deadline: 30th January 2023
Offices: ECPC Secretariat, 6, Avenue des Arts, 1210 Brussels
EU Projects Coordinator
The European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC) is a European umbrella organisation based in Brussels gathering over 450 cancer patient associations from 49 Countries.
ECPC was set up in 2003. Every day we are working to make sure that all European cancer patients have timely and aﬀordable access to the best treatment and care available, throughout their life. Every day we are working to make sure that all European cancer patients have timely and aﬀordable access to the best treatment and care available, throughout their life
We are recruiting an EU Projects Coordinator to manage the organisation’s work in EU and third parties funded projects in cancer. The EU Projects Coordinator will be working with the various project files of the organisation, contributing to EU and industry funded projects of the ECPC Annual Action Plan, and establishing good working relations with project partners and stakeholders. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional with sound educational and professional background.
The Research Project Coordinator will report to the Director and will work closely with the HR and Finance Manager, the Project Officers and rest of the Secretariat. The Research Project Coordinator will also work closely with the President and the Board of Directors, the Scientific Committee and the Chair of the Scientific Committee who will advise on strategic project proposals and overall direction of ECPC research project involvement.
Key areas of Responsibility
- Supporting the day-to-day administration of the Health and Research Programs Function, including providing standard information in a timely manner in response to queries, scheduling project meetings, writing meeting minutes, preparing agendas, and circulating reference materials and making the necessary follow-up to members and partners.
- Leading the administration of projects on daily project activities and related tasks to ensure the timely delivery of ECPC obligations and commitments as set out in the projects Grant Agreements
- Assist the Health and Research team, as needed, with finalizing and editing of project proposals, deliverables and project budgeting.
- The Research Project Coordinator will be responsible for the development of project proposal, including budget allocations for ECPC and the implementation of funded projects in line with the Board’s decisions and Scientific Committee Chair advice.
- Working in close collaboration with the HR and Finance Manager under the supervision of the Director to draft, review and finalise any necessary project funding agreements or sub-contracts, including those for consultants, and ensuring the timely transfer of funds to contractors;
- Assisting the Board in drafting, designing, and implementing EU funded research projects under the direct supervision of the Chair of the Scientific Committee;
- Liaising with the European Commission, project partners and leaders, and other stakeholders on progress of all initiatives and ensuring that all contract terms are met;
- Monitoring man-month allocation per WPs in projects as per grant agreements, budget allocations and monthly team contributions, working in close collaboration with the HR and Administration Determining the resources (time, money, equipment) required to complete the research projects;
- Planning the projects travel and accommodation needs in collaboration with the project officers and in liaison with the HR + Admin Manager for the settlement of the bookings.
- Prepare and submit reports aiming to improve the effective organization of external and internal activities, maintain small existing databases and manage accurate formal and informal projects record keeping.
- Assist the project officers with the preparation of the deliverables of the EU funded and/or industry funded projects and the progress reports of both the EU funded and projects of the Action Plan. Collaborate closely with the project officers to ensure the timely preparation and submission of project financial reports and supporting
- Collect from the Project Officers all financial information for the draft preparation of the expenses for every action/deliverable/travel and submit them with the necessary explanatory notes as a draft report to the HR and Finance Manager.
- Assisting with partnership management, liaise with members and project partners on project related tasks and activities: academia, industry, regulators and decision-makers.
- Liaising, as necessary, with other departments at ECPC (communication, policy and advocacy) for promoting the project, for developing policies and preparing advocacy materials
- Supporting the Scientific Committee and its Chair in the preparation of specific project proposals and their implementation, in the presentation of the projects at events and ad hoc papers, as needed;
- 5 years of proven professional experience as Project Manager, not including internships/traineeships
- PMP/PRINCE II certification will be a plus.
- A Master’s degree in Biology, Genetics, Medicine, Public Health is required, while an additional graduate or post-graduate degree in Business Administration, EU Affairs is desirable
- Excellent oral and written English skills, native English an asset, and knowledge of at least 1 other European language
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills: verbal and written
- Knowledge of EU research funded projects (H2020, IMI, Digital technology) is required
- Experience of shared online project management systems and project activities’ reporting templates
- Experience in preparing documents (press releases, editorials, etc.) for the press and online media
- Experience in writing long documents (reports, position papers, project proposals, etc.) and in creating/using visuals with desk top publishing
- Good use of social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) in health care for the dissemination of the projects is required
- Willingness and availability to undertake business travel at short notice, if necessary, take notes, and report back to the line-manager
- Excellent Communication skills: Outstanding written and verbal skills in English (English fluency is mandatory) and attention to detail and numeracy
- Willingness to use a shared online project management system is essential
- Fluency in at least another EU language
- Experience in delivering oral presentations to small and large professional audiences
- Familiar with the procedures of the European Commission Portal for grants
- Proficient with MS Office 365, including Outlook,Word, PowerPoint and proven advanced level use of Excel
- Commitment to the vision and the mission of the European Cancer Patient Coalition
- Empathy to peers and ability to anticipate and meet the needs of project partners, stakeholders, and members, among others
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and handle multiple projects is essential
- Ability to work in a fast-paced international and multilingual team of young professionals
- Willingness and availability to work long hours, whenever necessary, to undertake business travel at short notice and assist in all activities of a busy small office
- Proactiveness, collegiality, readiness to offer a helping hand in various tasks, sociable mature personality able to relate with peers and high-level officials
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others in both team and independent environments
- Able to plan workload and estimate timelines accurately is essential
- Previous work experience in an NGO, health sector preferred
- Knowledge of the oncology and cancer care European system
- Basic understanding of the functioning of the European Union
- Working knowledge of EU health and oncology stakeholders
- Experience in using Content Management Systems: ideally WordPress
- Experience in using Project Management Systems
- Experience in using Adobe Acrobat and Creative Suite (ideally Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
What we offer
This is a full-time position (38 hours per week), with one year contract under the Belgian legislation with a possibility to renew upon evaluation; remuneration according to Belgian legislation (CP337.000) and depending on the candidates’ profile and experience. We also offer a full range of extra-legal benefits (group insurance, meal vouchers, eco-cheques, CCT90 Bonus, etc) as well as 5 additional holidays per year.
We offer a captivating and varied function with an organisation driven by its mission and where initiative, creativity, and energy are strongly encouraged. The successful candidate will collaborate with a young, motivated, professional, and friendly Secretariat and a very involved, expert, and collaborative Board and Scientific Committee.
Starting date: Immediate
Interested candidates should send a CV and a cover letter (maximum two pages) in English ONLY by email to email@example.com by January 30, 2023.The cover letter should have as Subject line: “Application for the position of EU Projects Coordinator– your name”) and should outline your suitability and motivation for the post, indicating also when you could start, if short-listed for interview. It should explicitly reference how your profile matches the different job requirements described above. Please also include a photo with your application and the names and contact details of two people (ideally a current or former line manager or supervisor) who could provide a reference in case you are short-listed for interview.
We will assess the applications as we receive them and not wait till the deadline is passed. Should you be interested please do not wait till the last day, as we may have already filled the position.
Applications not meeting the requirements will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. CV and personal data of non-selected candidates are not shared with anyone outside ECPC.