ECPC was set up in 2003 and believes that cancer patients are the most important partners in the ﬁght against cancer and against all the cancer-related issues aﬀecting our society. Policy makers, researchers, doctors and industry should recognise cancer patients as co-creators of their own health.
We are recruiting a Senior EU Affairs Officer to lead the organisation’s work in European policy. The Senior EU Affairs Officer will be responsible for the various policy files of the organisation, contributing policy recommendations to research projects, and establishing good working relations with key stakeholders, the European Commission and Parliament.
The Senior EU Affairs Officer will be responsible for the development of the organisation’s policy activities in line with the Board’s decisions. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional with sound educational and professional background.
- Proactively follow developments in the EU health care systems, public health and more specifically in cancer and accordingly inform the Board as well as make suggestions for action
- Assist the Board in drafting, designing, and implementing cancer and health policy strategy
- Advocate for patients’ rights within EU Institutions and eventually at national level
- Contribute to the policy aspects of research projects in the new policy frameworks of the Cancer Mission and the European Cancer Plan
- Assist the President, Vice President and Board in preparing for events and presentations
- Develop & maintain relations with the organisation’s current and new stakeholders (NGOs, industry, academia, health/oncology media)
- Conceive, plan, budget and organise own events or in collaboration with stakeholders and EU institutions (particularly with European Parliament)
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and handle multiple projects
- Ability to use a shared online project management system
- Able to plan workload and estimate timelines accurately
- Basic EU funded project accounting and reporting required
- Keep, update and cross-link the policy archive of the organization
- Proactiveness, collegiality, readiness to offer a helping hand in various tasks, sociable mature personality able to relate with peers and high-level officials
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team within an international and multilingual environment
- Willingness and availability to work long hours, whenever necessary, to undertake business travel at short notice and assist in all activities of a busy small office
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others in both team and independent environments
- Character traits of being flexible, stress-resistant, efficient, diplomatic and above all enthusiastic, willing and keen
- A professional mindset and interest in the development and sustainability of activities
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political Science, EU Affairs, Public Health, Medicine with oncology orientation from recognised European Universities
- Working knowledge of EU health and oncology stakeholders
- Proven working experience and knowledge health systems preferably in the European oncology setting
- Working experience of the functioning of the European Union and its Institutions
- Outstanding written and verbal skills in English (English fluency is mandatory) and attention to detail
- Experience in preparing documents (press releases, editorials, etc.) for the press and online media
- Fluency in at least another EU language
- Experience in writing long documents (reports, position papers, project proposals, etc.) and in creating/using visuals with desk top publishing
• European Affairs working experience in Brussels of at least five years, preferably in health related sectors and/or in non-profit organizations;
• Demonstrated expert use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint – skills and expertise in producing high quality visuals is required for presentations and reports;
• Expertise in using social media in healthcare (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn);
• Experience in governance and day to day work of non-profit organisations, particularly in a patient organisation;
• Budget planning and oversight, basic accounting experience;
• Ability to meet tight deadlines, handle multiple projects, plan workload and estimate timelines accurately;
• Ability to use a shared online project management system;
• Basic EU funded project accounting and reporting required;
• Ability to keep, update and cross-link the policy archive of the organization.
What we offer
This is a full-time position (38 hours per week), with permanent contract (probation period is 6 months), benefits include meal vouchers for 8 EUR per day, 5 additional holidays per year, GSM abonnement, Eco vouchers, Hospitalisation insurance, Group insurance, CCT90 bonus, Cadeau Pass for 40 EUR (end of year) and Sport & Culture Pass for 100 EUR, based in Brussels, offering many learning and career advancement opportunities for the right candidate. The position is suitable for young professionals aiming to build vertical expertise on many and varied aspects of cancer and health care in the policy area.
The successful candidate will collaborate with a young, motivated, professional, and friendly Secretariat and a very involved, expert, and collaborative Board.
We offer a captivating and varied function with an organisation driven by its mission and where initiative, creativity, and energy are strongly encouraged.
Interested candidates should send a CV and a cover letter (maximum two pages) in English to email@example.com by 3 April 2020. Please make sure you mention the job position “Senior EU Affairs Officer” in the subject line of your email.
The cover letter should outline your suitability and motivation for the post. It should explicitly reference how your profile matches the different job requirements described above. Please also include with your application the names and contact details of two people (ideally a current or former line manager or supervisor) who could provide a reference in case you are short-listed for interview.
All applications received will treated with utmost confidentiality.
Starting date: Immediate